Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Why ask, "Why?"

Back in August, I was approached to start an MLM (Multi Level Marketing) company by a good friend of mine. Being in an MBA program and wanting to strike out on my own a bit, I listened. Knowing her to be very judicious and informed, and after much research and inquiry into the company, I joined.

The deal was great: earn residual income for every customer you signup; get a bonus for every business partner who signs up underneath you. Sounds simple, right? So like a good little MBA student, I dove right into the business sending out messages on FB and Tweeting about the money saving products and services. The products and services really were great!

I signed a few people up for cell services and cable... but that ever illusive business partner was no where to be found. I needed to sign up a partner to start earning on my signups. So I contacted some like minded people to join me and be saved from their 9 - 5 drudgery.

And then came the backlash: 
        Friends on FB contacting me about spam.
        Friends asking not to be texted on this anymore.

I just wanted to save them money while making some for myself... little did I know: A person needs to WANT to be saved.

OK lesson learned... So where to from here? I decided to search for MLM support groups and mentoring. And I found it at: www.mentoringforfree.com 

So while reading his self help book, I stumbled across a section dedicated to developing you're "Why." This key concept is touted by every MLM as the cornerstone of the business. But they never coach you in developing it BEFORE you join. Only after you join.

While devoting two tireless nights to finding my "Why", I found it. My "Why" didn't exist! I was drawn purely to the money aspect. Not to the networking essence of the business or the personal freedom self-employment afforded.

(A note to all reading: in the end, money is NEVER a good "Why;" that is like becoming a doctor for the money rather than a desire to help people. If you don't love it, don't elect to pursue it.)

So I apologized to my friend and after 2 months of working on this company, I closed it. I still believe it is a genuinely good opportunity, just not for me.

I love books, information, history, data, research, food, drinks, and friends. I love my job. I love the people with whom I work (usually). I love the ability to continue my education for free and being able to hit the gym during lunch. The health insurance can't be beat. The only thing lacking is money, which while not everything, is important in the larger picture.

I don't love having to talk to people I don't know and "sell hard." Its not me. Finally realized I'm on the wrong track with the whole business thing.

OFF TO LIBRARY SCHOOL!

2 comments:

  1. we have way too much in common :)

    love me,
    the globetrotting gamine


    *whosthatgamine.blogspot.com*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gamine. Nice to find a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete